Thursday, August 24, 2006

There is no such thing as too much 'Rou Gan'


I believe in Rou Gan (Chinese Dried Meat). As soul food and comfort food, as a cuisine of both solace and celebration. When I'm feeling good, I want Rou Gan. And when I'm feeling bad, I just want Rou Gan more.

I believe in Rou Gan in all its flavours, either normal, spicy or super spicy, and in shapes that range from strips, slices or pieces.

I believe in Rou Gan, there is no such thing as too much Rou Gan - either it is good, bad or in-between, old-fashioned pit-smoked or high-tech and modern, as long as it is Rou Gan.

In the last few years, researchers have confirmed that cooking meat too long over a dry, intense heat creates small amounts of at least two kinds of compounds that can lead to cancer, but I just don't care, I will eat less but won't give up Rou Gan.

Existing without gimmickry, without the infernal swindles and capering of so much of contemporary cuisine, Rou Gan is truth; it is history and home, and the only thing I don't believe is that I'll ever get tired.

No comments:

Post a Comment